1896 - 1956 (60 years)
||Allen, Emma Ida [1, 2] |
||24 Aug 1896
||Mound City, Campbell County, South Dakota [1, 3]
||23 Dec 1956
||Yakima, Yakima County, Washington, United States 
- "Betty was the first of seven children born to Harry Jay Allen and Hattie Mae Hankins. She grew up in Mound City where she attended public school, finishing the 8th grade. In June 1923 Betty married William Robert McElrea. They had seven children: Delbert, Clifford, Phyllis, Joyce, W ayne, Robert and Ronald.
Bill and Betty operated a butcher shop in Mound City, and the family lived in rooms above the shop. Vera Alexancer told us that Betty was quite musical and became a fine pianist. When she played the piano in her upstairs home the townspeople would line up along the sidewalk to listen. Son Bob recalls that in 1936, a combination of depression, drought, and faulty refrigeration in the butcher
shop made it impossible to continue in that business, and the family moved to Wapato, Washington where Bill worked as a laborer in the orchard industry. Bill died of heart disease in 1941 leaving Betty with seven children ages five to seventeen. Because of her large family she was advised to stay home with the children rather than find work. Five years later she moved to Yakima where she did find work as a hostess for a large business office. Betty developed insulin dependent diabetes mellitus, and at age 55 suffered a heart
attack. A few years later she developed liver cancer and died at age 60. In her younger years she was an avid card player, very athletic, and a good softball player. Her niece, Vera Alexander, states that 'she could beat up anyone who got out of line'. Vera also stated that she was very good natured and was quick to forgive."
||9 Jul 2012 |
||McElrea, William Robert, b. 24 Apr 1888, Hope Bay, Ontario , d. 7 May 1942, Yakima, Yakima County, Washington, United States (Age 54 years) |
||6 Jun 1923
||Mound City, Campbell County, South Dakota [1, 2]
| ||1. McElrea, Clifford Samuel, b. 23 Jul 1926, Mound City, Campbell County, South Dakota , d. 17 Aug 1998, Soldatna, Alaska (Age 72 years)|
|+||2. McElrea, Delbert Allen, b. 4 Apr 1924, Mowbridge, South Dakota. United States , d. 10 Apr 1972, Seattle, King County, Washington, United States (Age 48 years)|
| ||3. Living|
| ||4. McElrea, Wayne, b. Aft 1923, d. Aug 1971 (Age < 46 years)|
| ||5. Living|
| ||6. Living|
||9 Jul 2012 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S685] FTM File - MG, Marjorie Goodfellow, 14 Aug 2010.
- [S705] Desc William Robert McElrea (b1888), Olive Margaret "Peggy" Taylor McElrea.
- [S710] Descendants of Isaac Ely, Charles Ely, email@example.com.
- [S709] A Treasure, The Family of James Allen...", John Allen, compiler; John Allen and Doris Allen Howe, Editors, (John Allen, Montevideo, MN, USA, June 1997), 55.